Thursday, April 22, 2010

Final Reflection

This semester has been a very good experience for me because it opened my eyes to childrens books and the lessons they can teach kids. I now realize how important it is to read books as a teacher instead of just a reader. Before taking this class I never really thought about how childrens books could affect the views and ideas of children as they read but now I do. I also thought that these books were just something to read and had no real morals or life lessons. However, after reading a whole smash of books with lessons I don't think I came across until High School like issues on diversity I really can appreciate what these authors do for a living. I think it is important to find books that children can think critically about instead of just reading another princess story where everything turns out perfect in the end. Some of the issues we talked about in class are touchy subjects like issues of homosexuality and rape. This opened my eyes to the fact that children are dealing with these issues younger and younger as the years go by and by introducing them to these controversial subjects through picture books is a good way to get them thinking and having discussions about the issues. I think now that it is important to instill values and morals in children at as early of an age as possible whereas before taking this class I would have thought it to be completely ridiculous to teach a fifth or sixth grader about rape. This class has definitely had a big affect on me and will certainly influence the way I choose books for my future classroom. I really enjoyed being introduced to new genres of books I would have never thought of before like graphic novels, and also learning about non-fiction books on racism and diversity I would have never thought to be common among childrens books. This was a great experience and will certainly help me become a better teacher in the future.

No comments:

Post a Comment