Thursday, April 22, 2010

HOT HOT HOT by: Neal Layton

This book was GREAT! I really enjoyed reading it. It is clearly aimed at a lower grade level but is really entertaining and educational. I love how the book goes through and talks about the seasons and the ice age all while keeping it fun and entertaining. The illustrations are great and really pull the reader into the story. I think the use of a sloppy style text gives the illusion that maybe a child wrote it, and the language also points to that too. I think this is an effective strategy in childrens' books and wish I saw more of it. I think that the illustrations also kind of look like they have been done by a young student, and if done intentionally I think is brilliant. My favorite part of the book is the last page because it is informational and I think that is an awesome thing to do at the end of a fictional book because it clarifies things for the reader and gives them information about the book that they may not have known before. I definitely recommend this book.

No comments:

Post a Comment