Thursday, April 22, 2010

The Stupids Take Off by: Harry Allard-James Marshall

For this book I focused mainly on the title of the book for my topic of discussion. The word "stupid" is highly stigmatized and can be hurtful to people if they are called it. This is why I was shocked when I saw a book with a family named the Stupids. I feel like this is something that young children could really take the wrong way and mock the book and it repeats a word they should not use. I also noticed the repetition of the word stupid throughout the book, even though it is said as a name, it sounds offensive. For instance it says the two Stupid kids have never heard of Uncle Carbuncle and "Oh, we get it," said the two Stupid kids. I was entertained by the book but as a future teacher I do not think I would want my students vigorously repeating such a demeaning word over and over in a book.

No comments:

Post a Comment