Thursday, April 22, 2010

The Misfits

The Misfits was an awesome book to read I really enjoyed it. I can understand why it is a controversial book because of the issues that it discusses and the stereotypes it includes. I think that the most shocking part of the book is the ending when Joe and Colin go to the dance together. This part of the book really caught me by surprise because i just thought it was a little too far fetched and took away from the meaning of the book. I did enjoy the fact that the author went as far as having them go to the dance together but I feel it took away from the realistic feel of the book. I do not see a problem in teaching this book in elementary schools. I think it is important to expose children to these issues at a young age because as time goes on it is becoming more common for things like homosexuality to be present in elementary schools. This book hits on many other issues but the discussion of homosexuality can be a touchy subject in High Schools across the United States let alone elementary schools. I feel this would be something that parents would really have a hard time dealing with if their child came home and talked about a book they were reading with two boys going to a dance together. I think this topic is very interesting and this book will hopefully lead me to find other books with controversial topics that are read in elementary schools nation wide.

No comments:

Post a Comment